The Minnesota State University Moorhead (MSUM) Archives is comprised of two repositories: the University Archives and the Northwest Minnesota Historical Center.
The mission of the MSUM Archives is to appraise, collect, organize, describe, and preserve documentation of the history of Minnesota State University Moorhead and northwest Minnesota; to provide reference assistance to MSUM administrators, faculty and staff, students, alumni, and off-campus researchers; and to make collections visible through finding aids, webpages, exhibits, and social media.
The University Archives, created in 1978, is the official repository of MSUM that documents the history of the University and the people affiliated with it. The records span from the founding of the Moorhead Normal School in 1887 to the present.
The Northwest Minnesota Historical Center (NMHC) was established in 1972 by the Minnesota Historical Society in conjunction with the University’s History Department as a regional research repository to collect and preserve the history of the twelve county region of northwest Minnesota. Presently, the NMHC is operated and administered by the Livingston Lord Library. The NMHC contains manuscripts, oral history interviews, photographs, family histories, and more dating as far back as the 1860s.