Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is RefWorks?
RefWorks is a citation manager. It can help you organize your research by storing citations for the articles you find. You can then use those citations to automatically generate a bibliography, formatted to whatever citation style you choose. You can even sync your RefWorks account with Microsoft Word to drop in-text citations into your document.
RefWorks looks complicated, but it's actually easy to use and very helpful. This guide will help you get started.
Need to Import Research to RefWorks?
How do I access RefWorks
As shown in the image above, you use the middle portion only one time to register your account. Then use the login link at the top every time after that.
* Your username is your MSUM email
*Check for activation code in junk mail if not in inbox
After logging into RefWorks return to the MSUM libguide and the next tab "Getting Started: All Users" for instructions on how to use Refworks.
Why Use RefWorks
Four reasons to use RefWorks include the ability to:
- Gather, store, manage, and share references or citations.
- Generate bibliographies in numerous citation formats such as APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.
- Store references online and have accessibility to them wherever internet access is available
- Creates more accurate citations. (Refworks can be used to replace other citation machine sites such as Citation Machine, BibMe, and EasyBib).